The 2012 Goi Peace Foundation-UNESCO International Essay contest has commenced. The objective of the contest is to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of youths across the world in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
THEME: ‘‘Creating the future we want’’. The future begins with the vision we hold now. What kind of future do you wish to create for yourself and the world? Please share your dream and ideas for making it a reality
AWARD: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
• 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$ 1,300) for one entrant.
• 2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$650) for two 2entrants.
• 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift for 5 entrants
• Honorable mention: Certificate and gift for 25 entrants
All prize winners will be announced in November 2012 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (Goi Peace Foundation
) and UNESCO web site: (UNESCO Youth
). First prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony scheduled for Tokyo, Japan in November, 2012 (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers) while all Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December.
1. Essay must be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 30, 2012) in one of the following age categories: (a) Children (ages up to 14) (b) Youth (ages 15 -25).
2. Essays must be 800 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
3. Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names as well as the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
4. Essays must have a cover page indicating:
A. Category (Children or Youth)
B. Essay title
C. Your name
E. Phone number
H. Age as of June 30, 2012
J. School name (if applicable)
K. Word count
Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
8. Entries may be submitted by post mail to:
International Essay Contest,
c/o The Goi Peace Foundation,
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku,
Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
Or online to: (Goi Peace Foundation
To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at (Goi Peace Foundation
) and follow the required steps.
Please send all inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All entries for the competition must be received before June 30, 2012.