Job Title: Research Associate (Yam Breeding) (2-year renewable contract)
Organisation: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture – IITA
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following:
• Establish and manage field and screen house experiments on yam breeding and genetics both on and out-station.
• Manage technicians and other support staff in yam breeding unit.
• In coordination with Yam Breeder prepare weekly plan for all field workers and Technicians.
• Collect, organise and manage data entry from yam breeding experiments for statistical processing
• In coordination with Yam Breeder and Biometrician, process and analyse data from yam breeding experiments and prepare technical reports
• Organise, monitor and report on national (Nigeria) and regional (West and Central Africa) collaborative yam trials with partners
• Manage the propagation, characterization and dissemination of improved yam germplasm in response to requests.
• Maintain regular communication with clients and partners of the unit
• In coordination with Communication Unit and Yam Breeder, prepare training material on Yam.
• Train students and relevant staff of partner agencies in yam breeding methodologies
Qualification and Experience:
Master’s degree in Plant Breeding from a recognised university, plus at least five years of certified experience in Plant Breeding.
The ideal candidate must
• Possess working experience/exposure in international organisations and interdisciplinary agricultural research
• Be familiar with agricultural and farming systems in West and Central Africa
• Have working experience with yam (Dioscorea spp). Participatory approaches will be an asset.
• Be able to demonstrate team management skills.
• Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Be proficient in the use of computers, database management software, statistical analysis software, internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools.
• Be fluent in oral and written English; with some working knowledge of French
This position is based in IITA Ibadan, Nigeria, and involves substantial domestic and international travel outside duty station.
Remuneration: IITA offers highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Please complete our online application form using this link: IITA Ibadan Job Portal.
Please note that application letters not accompanied with evidence of current remuneration and age will not be treated.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Research Associate - Yam Breeding Job