Job Title: Senior Investment Officer, Agribusiness and Forestry Sector
Job ID: 120930
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Company: International Finance Corporation (IFC),
Background / General description:
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest multilateral provider of financing for private enterprise in emerging markets. IFC provides loans, equity, structured finance and risk management tools as well as advisory services to build the private sector in developing countries. IFC’s investments in Sub-Saharan Africa have never been stronger, helping to bring tangible benefits to millions of people across the region. Building its strategy on the improvement of the investment climate, enhancing support to small and medium enterprises, and developing projects more actively, in particular in the poorest countries and in sectors such as infrastructure and agribusiness, we have been able to grow our commitments from $ 445 million in FY 05 to 2.4 billion in FY 10. To strengthen our pipeline and maintain the momentum, IFC is seeking to recruit a Senior Investment Officer to lead investment teams and business development activities, execute transactions, and actively manage portfolio projects in the Agribusiness and Forestry sector. The overall goal for all Investment Officers, irrespective of level of seniority, is to maximize the impact of IFC’s intervention and to contribute to the regional and/or sector/industry development in our client countries by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments. The position is based in Lagos, Nigeria and will report to the Head of Agribusiness and Forestry for Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Identify, evaluate, negotiate and close investments in agribusiness.
• Identify and collaborate with the Advisory Services experts to design and implement sector and enterprise programs to support private sector participation in agribusiness and forestry.
• Support evaluation and closing of investment projects in west and central Africa
• Support the Manufacturing and Services team to identify, evaluate, negotiate and close investments in Health and Education in Nigeria
• Develop new business in Nigeria and provide innovative and flexible financial structures for complex transactions
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop specific investment opportunities as well as to develop Agribusiness industry sectors with a high developmental impact.
• Set standards for thoroughness in quality control and make recommendations to strengthen transactions.
• Lead and manage projects teams; mentor and develop junior staff
• Contribute to the development of sector and sub-regional strategies; support promotion and policy advisory activities
• MBA or equivalent qualification.
• 8+ years experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments, with a focus on projects in agribusiness in emerging markets and Africa
• Knowledge of agribusiness sector trends, issues, challenges and opportunities; candidates with additional experience in the forestry sector have a competitive advantage.
• Successful track record in leading project teams with highly qualified professionals, and in guiding and mentoring junior investment staff.
• Sound business judgment to identify potential business partners.
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials.
• Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in other languages, in particular French, Portuguese, a plus.
• Genuine commitment to highest ethical standards and to sustainable development with particular sensitivity to social and environmental issues.
• Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.Job Portal for Application
Deadline: 13 May 2012.Senior Investment Officer Job