Job Title: Education Specialist (GEP), NOC
Vacancy Number: VN-NGR-04-2012
Location: Bauchi and Kaduna
Organisation: UNICEF Nigeria
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of an experienced Education Specialist who under the supervision of Education Specialist in the field office will be accountable for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of Education programme(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives. Across the Education programme(s), accountable for identifying gender inequalities in education, and for developing innovative approaches and programmes to eliminating these inequalities. Collaborates across the programme(s) to ensure gender mainstreaming. Ensures that monitoring mechanisms are in place to track progress towards disparity reduction goals and targets in Education.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. Programme Planning, Development and Management. Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral planning, development and management by guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input, using gender disaggregated data and analysis.
2. Knowledge Management. Further promote knowledge management by drafting or finalizing sectoral documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action as well as through orientation and training programmes targeted to Government authorities. Ensure exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; provides solid technical recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
3. Rights-Based Projects through Results-Based Approach. Promote the quality of rights-based Education programming through participation in the formulation of programme goals, and approaches. Bring synergy and added value to sectoral or programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
4. Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring. Takes shared responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches, emphasizing the principles of gender equality and strategies for gender mainstreaming.
5. Programme Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting. Ensure programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation, with an emphasis on gender-disaggregated data. Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure the preparation of annual Education sector status reports.
6. Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes.
7. UNICEF and Government Accountability. Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
8. Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
• Ensure exchange of information, experience, help identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve Education programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
• Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
• Support coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Programme colleagues to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
• Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of the Education projects planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
• Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of Education programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve Education programme goals.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
Education Advanced university degree in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, or a Social Sciences fields relevant to international development assistance. Work Experience
Five years of progressively professional work experience at national and international levels in field programmes relevant to Education programmes. Experience in national level development assistance is an asset. Experience with addressing gender disparities and asset. Language Proficiency Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Integrity and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
• Communication, Working with People and Drive for result.
• Analyzing, Planning and Organizing.
• Leading and supervising skills
• Ability to formulate strategies and concepts
• Applying technical expertise
• Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programmes.
• Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
• Gender and diversity awareness
• Leadership in identifying, encouraging and mentoring capable women.
• Knowledge of theories and practices in:Programme/project management in Education, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training and Capacity Development in Education , Alternative Basic Education, Curriculum Development and Knowledge Management
• General knowledge of:Methodology of programme/project management, Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for Education programmes, Knowledge of global education issues, specifically relating to children and women.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form
Deadline: 06 March 2012.Education Specialist Job