Job Title: Director (R4D) Central Africa and Natural Resource Management
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Organisation: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Sector: International Non-Profit Research-For-Development (R4D) Organization
• The Director will take a leadership role and provide a strategic vision for research on NRM to benefit land-users and especially resource poor farmers within the IITA and the Humidtropics (CRP 1.2) framework.
• The Director will also oversee R4D IITA activities in Central Africa by integrating other competencies such as crop improvement, plant health and socio-economics in order to impact populations relying on agriculture and other natural resources.
• The Director will be a member of the IITA research management team and will report to the DDG R4D.
The primary responsibilities of the Director will include:
• Providing strategic vision for research on NRM for IITA.
• Designing and implementing a NRM research program that will integrate IITA NRM research in the Humid Tropics CRP 1.2.
• Designing and implementing an agricultural research for development agenda for the Central African region for IITA.
• Overseeing laboratory facilities in the area of NRM.
• Strengthening the collaboration between IITA and other International Centers, especially in relation to the Soils Platform for Africa.
• Contributing to marketable project designs for the delivery of NRM projects.
• Managing the Regional hub and country office in Central Africa region.
• For scientists based in the Central Africa Region, approving, monitoring and assessing scientist performance based upon work plans and budget; recommending training, both internal and external, for scientists; mentoring scientists as needed; authorizing scientists’ travel; and managing handover process with departing scientists at end of contract.
• For projects in Central Africa region or focused on NRM, monitoring all aspects of project implementation, including start-up activities, work plan, technical reporting, financial reporting, partnerships, project outputs or other deliverables for quality, timeliness, and efficiency.
• Representing DG and DDG-R4D in the region as requested.
• Reporting to Program Committee of Board and implement recommendations as requested by DDG-R4D.
• Communicating R4D as needed by coordinating with Communication Office.
The candidate should have at least a PhD in Soil Science or related agricultural fields.
• At least ten years experience in tropical agricultural research with a strong background in soil management and other NRM areas.
• Demonstrated experience with the management of a research program and the capacity to link a research vision to applied problems.
• Proven fund-raising record.
• Experience of managing networks and/or multi-institutional and multi-cultural collaborative projects.
• Leadership skills which share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration.
• Team leadership skills, an appreciation for intellectual and other forms of diversity, and a commitment to agricultural development in the tropics.
• High verbal and written communication skills in English and French.
• Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with some of the key donors or partners of IITA is an advantage
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Applications:
Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager.
Please complete IITA online application form using this link: IITA Online Job Application Portal
Closing Date: November 25, 2011.
Source: IITA Career Portal.