TWAS provides travel support for scientists from developing countries to carry out research at a research institution in a developing country (other than the home country).
• The fellowships are for research and advanced training. They are offered to young scientists holding at least an MSc or equivalent degree.
• Eligible applicants for the fellowships are young scientists working in any area of natural sciences who are citizens of a developing country and are employed by a research institution in a developing country.
• There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career and those working in Least Developed Countries.
• Institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China, are not eligible host institutions under this programme. Applicants interested in conducting a fellowships in China are required to check whether their chosen host is a CAS institute. For a complete list of CAS institutes, see: english.cas.ac.cn/CASI/ . Applicants wishing to attend a CAS institute should apply to either the TWAS-CAS Postgraduate or the TWAS-CAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programmes.
Terms of the Fellowships:
• The fellowships are offered for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months.
• TWAS covers international low-cost airfare plus a contribution towards subsistence amounting to a maximum of US$ 300 per month. No other costs will be provided by TWAS.
• The host institution is expected to provide accommodation and food as well as research facilities.
Application and Selection Procedure:
• Fellowships are awarded by the TWAS Fellowships Committee on the basis of scientific merit.
• Applications should be completed in English.
• Part 1 of the application form should be completed by the applicant and the head of the applicant's HOME institution, and sent to the TWAS secretariat. Material requested:
1. the completed application form;
2. passport-style photograph as a separate JPEG file;
3. copy of passport page giving personal details (even if expired);
4. the applicant's curriculum vitae;
5. full list of publications (do not enclose reprints of articles!);
6. letters of recommendation submitted separately to TWAS by two referees who are familiar with the applicant's work;
7. proforma airfare quotation from a local travel agency for flights with the most direct and economic route.
• Part 2 must be sent by the applicant to the head of the institution he/she intends to visit, together with a copy of Part 1 (for information). Part 2 should then be completed by the head of the host institution and sent to the TWAS secretariat.
NB: Applications cannot be considered unless Part 2 has been completed by the head of the host institute.
Method of Application:
• Note that the Fellowships are provided for South-South visits only, i.e. for visits by researchers from developing countries to institutions in other developing countries.
• Applications that are unsigned, incomplete, illegible or filled out in a language other than English cannot be accepted.
Applications should be sent to:
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-687
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
• Fellowships for Advanced Research Application Form
Deadline for applications: 1 October of each year.
Note: Applicants can apply for only one fellowship per year.
For more information: TWAS Fellowships for Research and Advanced Training — TWAS Portal