The German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) and Natural Products Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa (NAPRECA) have been implementing a postgraduate scholarship scheme since the 1988/89. The programme aims at providing support to staff development efforts of universities and research institutions in the sub-region. DAAD provides scholarship funds annually to five new candidates through NAPRECA. Nominees for the scholarship will pursue postgraduate studies leading to M.Sc. or Ph.D. degrees in Biology, Chemistry, and related fields. Applicants are selected from among young research or teaching assistants/demonstrators in universities or research institutes of NAPRECA member countries (Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, DR Congo and Cameroon) or affiliate countries. Successful candidates shall pursue postgraduate studies in Universities in NAPRECA member countries other than their home country.
• For M.Sc. studies, at least a Second Class Upper Division B.Sc. Degree, from a recognized
• For Ph.D. studies, an M.Sc. degree from a recognized University
• Age limit is 36 years
• Females are particularly encouraged to apply
Scholarship Duration and Funding:
• The fellowship is offered for a two-year period in the case of a M.Sc. and three years for a Ph.D. study.
• The scholarship fund covers University fees, book and living allowances, personal accident and medical insurance as well as a round trip air ticket where applicable.
• It is the policy of DAAD to issue an extension of the scholarship on a yearly basis based on good study progress.
How to Apply:
Candidates should submit applications to
The NAPRECA Coordinating Office,
Department of Chemistry,
University of Nairobi,
P.O. Box 30197-00100,
Fax No. 254 2 4446138,
as soon as possible, specifying the kind of training they require and a University within the region where they wish to pursue studies.
Applications should be accompanied with the following documents:
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, indicating the candidate's background, academic qualifications, and schools/universities attended and list of publications if available.
• Two letters of recommendation, one each from applicant's former professor and current employer.
• Certified photocopies of degree(s) obtained and academic transcripts.
• Two recent passport size photographs.
• Brief statement as to why the applicant wishes to embark on postgraduate studies.
• For Ph.D. candidates, detailed research proposal approved by prospective academic advisor(s)/supervisor(s).
• Candidates are advised to simultaneously apply for admission at the universities they wish to study.
Scholarships will not be offered without proof that the candidate has secured admission. A copy of the letter of admission should be sent to the NAPRECA Coordinating Office as soon as admission has been secured, but not later than June 30th, 2011.
Source: 2011/2012 Daad-Napreca Fellowships For Postgraduate Training (M.Sc. And Ph.D)