[attach=1] The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies.
About the Vanier Scholarships:
â€¢ Valued at $ 50,000 a year for three years, the Vanier is one of Canadaâ€™s most prestigious graduate awards.
â€¢ The Vanier Scholarships support doctoral studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related fields.
â€¢ Both Canadian and international students are eligible to apply.
The Vaniers are administered by Canadaâ€™s three federal funding agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Eligibility criteria are based on the 2011 Vanier CGS competition and will be updated once the details about the 2012 competition become available.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS at the University of Alberta, you must:
- intend to pursue a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) full-time at the University of Alberta in the May 2012 semester or the 2012/13 academic year.
- have completed between zero and 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2012 (ie. may not have begun the doctoral program earlier than Sept 1, 2010).
- have achieved a first-class average (equivalent to 3.5 or greater at the University of Alberta) in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- be seeking financial support to pursue a first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
- be invited to apply by the University of Alberta; applicants may only be nominated to the national competition by one Canadian university.
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.